Organ Donation Facts
- Over 110,000 people are currently in need of life-saving organ transplants.
- Every 11 minutes another name is added to the national organ transplant waiting list.
- Every day, about 18 people die because of lack of available organs for transplant.
- One organ donor can save and enhance up to 50 lives.
- Deceased donors are able to give kidneys, pancreas, liver, lungs, heart, intestinal organs, skin, bone, heart valves, and eye corneas.
- Living donors are able to give a kidney or portions of the liver, lung, intestine, or pancreas.
- While 90% of Americans say they support donation, only 30% of Americans know the essential steps to take to be a donor, and only 38% of licensed drivers are registered as organ donors.
- Less than half of the deceased people who meet the requirements for organ donation actually become donors.